General Information on Visa
1. All foreigners except Indian nationals must have visa to visit Nepal. Every foreigner entering into or departing from Nepal has to fill-up Arrival and Departure form and submit such form to the immigration office.
2. The types of tourist visa in terms of duration and their fees are as follows:
3. No visa fee shall be applicable to the passport holder of Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Pakistan and Sri Lanka for the first time for 30 days in a visa year (January-December).
4. Visa can also be obtained at the Immigration Offices at the Tribhuvan International Airport, Kathmandu and designated entry/exit points of Nepal upon arrival except the nationals of Nigeria, Ghana, Zimbabwe, Swaziland, Cameroon, Somalia, Liberia, Ethiopia, Iraq, Palestine, Afghanistan and Syria. The people of these countries should take visa from the nearby Embassy of Nepal accredited to their respective countries.
5. Designated Entry/Exit Points to/from Nepal
a) Tribhuvan International Airport, Kathmandu
b) Kakarvitta, Jhapa
c) Birgunj, Parsa
d) Kodari, Sindhupalchok
e) Belahiya, Bhairahwa
f) Jamunaha, Nepalgunj
g) Mohana, Dhangadhi
h) Gadda Chauki, Mahendranagar
i) Rashuwagadi, Rashuwa
6. The tourist visa shall be granted for a maximum period of 150 days in a visa year (Visa year means from January to December).
7. A tourist visa can be extended from the Immigration Department and Pokhara Immigration Office for a total period of 120 days, an additional 30 days visa may be granted on reasonable grounds from the Department. Over the course of a visa year, a tourist cannot stay in Nepal more than cumulative 150 days.
8. The following documents should be submitted to the Embassy to apply for tourist visa:
9. The visa application form can be submitted to the Embassy on every working day (Sunday – Thursday) from 08:00 to 14: 00 hours.
10. For more information, please contact the Embassy through
Fax: 44675680 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
11. Diplomatic Visa
The diplomatic passport holders can apply for diplomatic visa of Nepal. The diplomatic visa is issued gratis. The following documents are required to submit in the Embassy for diplomatic visa:
12. Official Visa
The official passport holders can apply for official visa of Nepal. The official visa is issued gratis. The following documents are required to submit in the Embassy for official visa:
Note: All other types of visas (study visa, transit visa, non-tourist visa, business visa, residential visa, etc) are issued by the Department of Immigration in Kathmandu, Nepal (www.nepalimmigration.gov.np).
13. Other important information:
14. Foreign Currency provision for tourists
As per the foreign exchange regulations of Nepal, the foreigners are not allowed to carry in cash more than US five thousands dollar or equivalent amount of other foreign currency while traveling to Nepal. In case the need of carrying foreign currency more than that amount, foreigners are advised to use banking channel.
Note: Please note that the above rules are subject to change without prior notice.